Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions:

I need to register for my course. How can I do this?

You can find all of the information you will need regarding registration on our registration advice page.


Who is my Personal Tutor?

your Personal Tutor’s name and email address can be found in the ‘Student Overview’ tile on the myDMU app.

Select the tile. Under ‘General Information’, select ‘My Personal Details’. The name of your personal tutor is located in the header section under ‘Department’. Select the name of your personal tutor to reveal your tutor’s details including email address.

If you cannot find this information, please contact the Student Advice Centre.


Who can I contact if I need support?

There is a lot of support available to you from your faculty, and from the wider University.

If you have concerns, or need some support, relating to your Programme or your studies, you can contact your Personal Tutor or your Programme Leader.

If you would like some support with your mental health, or with a disability, you can contact our Wellbeing Team or our Disability Team.

International Students can contact our International Academic Support Team, and you can also contact the Student Advice Centre who offer a wide range of support throughout your studies.


How many hours can I work?

During term time you are allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours a week, however outside of term time you may be able to work longer hours. For more information regarding this, please contact our Immigration and Compliance Team on


How do I open a bank account?

Once you have completed your registration, you will be able to access your Bank Letter. You will find this on the “My Documents” tile of MyDMU. If you take this letter to the bank, you should be able to open your account.


If I interrupt my studies, will this affect my visa?

Yes, if you interrupt your studies your visa will likely be curtailed. This would mean that you would need to apply for a new visa before returning to your studies. Please contact for further information.


I have already graduated. When will I receive my certificate?

If you graduated in August, and were unable to attend the graduation ceremony, your certificate will be posted to your term time address. Please contact if you have any further questions.

For students who will graduate in February 2023, if you can attend the ceremony you will receive your certificate on that day. If you are unable to attend the ceremony your certificate will be posted out to your term time address. Further information regarding this will be released to you a little closer to the time


I still need more help. How can I get this?

Ask us! We are always happy to help, and a member of the ASK BAL Team will get back to you as soon as we are able.

Talk to us

Have any questions? We are always open to talk about how we can support you.